If you need more space and you want to learn more about home renovation, an addition could be the answer. Adding square footage to your home or expanding the kitchen or the master bedroom may be a good investment. You are likely considering adding an addition to your home because you love where you live and are not ready to sell, but you need more space for your growing family. While building a home addition is an exciting endeavor, there is a lot to consider when calculating an addition’s cost. It’s worth the time and effort to do your research on costs now, so you are not surprised down the road.
Benefits of Home Additions
Make room for your family: If you are like most people, you want enough space to add children to your family and entertain friends for the holidays. If you wish to add an extra bedroom for a new baby or a room where your parents can spend their twilight years, an addition can provide the square footage you need.
Add monetary value to your property: Your home is likely your most valuable asset. It is essential to increase the equity and value of your home in any way you can. There are numerous ways to add to your home’s value, and having an addition constructed can give you the most bang for your buck. An addition will increase your home’s square footage and attract potential buyers if you plan on selling.
Improve your home’s functionality: Increasing your family room’s width or extending your master bathroom can make your home a more convenient, functional place to reside.
Home Addition Cost
The costs associated with constructing a home addition vary widely depending on location, materials, and size. Typically, a large addition that uses high-end materials costs more than a simple garage expansion. However, estimates can give you an idea of what you may need to budget. Construction professionals estimate that a 20 by 20 room addition usually costs between $75 and $200 per square foot. Here are the costs are broken down into more detail:
- Design: Hiring an architect is a good idea if you’re constructing a complicated addition. Hiring an Austin professional to complete the blueprint can cost between $2,000 and $8,000.
- Excavation and demolition: Preparing the construction site to begin typically costs between $1,000 and $4,000.
- Roof: Adding to an existing roof is an expensive and laborious undertaking. You can expect to pay about $85 per square foot if you add a second floor to your home or construct a detached shed or garage.
- Fixtures: You can expect to pay more if you want crown moldings, high-end light fixtures, or custom doors installed. Experts advise spending more on the foundation and structure of the addition and less on fixtures.
- Ceiling and walls: Installing drywall in your addition will cost about $2 per square foot. You can expect to pay more if you want thick or high-end insulation installed. Adding siding to your addition costs about $4 per square foot.
- Flooring: A new foundation may cost between $5,000 and $12,000, depending on the size and the materials. Flooring can cost between $1,000 and $4,000 inside the addition.
Tips for Lowering Home Addition Costs
Adding an addition to your home does not need to break the bank. Being smart about spending your money and budgeting can lower the costs and help eliminate surprise expenses. Follow these tips to keep your home addition costs from getting out of control:
- Get all costs in writing before hiring a contractor. You want to have all expectations and expenses down on paper to protect yourself if something goes wrong during the construction process.
- Find out your contractor’s change policy before the work begins. If you decide to make adjustments during the construction process, you need to know which costs to anticipate.
- Integrate a contingency fund into your final budget. Set aside at least 10% of the total project budget in case something goes wrong.
Work With an Expert
Do not risk your home’s value and structural integrity by attempting to design and construct an addition without an expert’s assistance. Hestia Construction & Design is a respected leader in the home remodeling Austin, TX community. We can assist you with your bathroom, kitchen, or outdoor remodeling project. Contact us today to learn more about the services we offer.
Additions and Home Remodeling Austin Costs — Austin, Texas