So, you’ve decided it’s time to upgrade your kitchen and are excited about all the possibilities. This can be a great investment in your home and can bring added functionality and style to what is likely the most used room in your house. You’ve looked at the current trends and styles and can’t wait to get started. First, let’s explore a few common mistakes people find themselves making when planning their kitchen remodel.
NOT SPENDING ENOUGH TIME ON THE PLANNING PHASE
Homeowners will be much happier with the results when they plan ahead and consider key details. There are many important things that could be overlooked if you are just focused on aesthetics, for example.
- How is the kitchen used? Do you cook rarely, or do you enjoy entertaining often?
- Which appliances do you use most often? Do you like to keep them easily accessible or out of sight?
- How many people are going to be using the new kitchen most of the time? Is it a common area to cook, socialize and study/do homework?
TRYING TO DO IT ALL YOURSELF
There are plenty of important safety regulations to be aware of, especially when working with electricity, plumbing and gas. Sure, we’ve all seen the shows that have been gaining in popularity, and it can be tempting to think how easy it looks. Relying on prefabricated options sounds like a good idea to save money but can leave missed opportunities for advanced storage options and modern technology solutions.
- Is the kitchen user-friendly? Do you have convenient access to pots and pans near the stove? Do you have dedicated task lighting where you do most of your meal prep?
- Is there adequate clearance for doors, cabinets and appliances? You might be in for a surprise if your dishwasher blocks a narrow walkway, or your fridge can’t open all the way because it was wedged too close between the cabinets and wall.
FORGETTING TO CONSIDER THE STYLE OF THE REST OF THE HOME
You may love the look and feel of a sleek modern kitchen, but your home leans toward a more traditional style. Committing to a new and trendy look can be fun and exciting, but ask yourself, “Will this look outdated in a few years?” Some current trends are surely here to stay, but we all remember the faux pas of past decades that we would like to forget. Working with a professional can help to incorporate some modern elements that won’t look like an afterthought in your home.
- Are there parts of the kitchen in its current state that should be kept?
- What colors work in the design aesthetic of the home?
- Which materials in the kitchen need upgrading most?
NOT DOING YOUR RESEARCH
Familiarize yourself with some of the materials that you are drawn to and learn the pros and cons of each, looking at things like durability, maintenance and price. It is very important to consider that kitchens are high traffic areas with exposure to water. For example, be realistic about how much time you are willing to spend on cleaning and maintenance.
- Ceramic and porcelain tiles are more moisture resistant than natural stone or wood.
- Marble and Quartz have different price points and maintenance concerns
- Dark paints and stains tend to highlight dust and fingerprints, but white can show just about everything else.
- Brushed nickel has a long-lasting finish that hides water spots, as opposed to shinier options like chrome.
Having a team of professionals will help you from start to finish so you can design a kitchen that will meet your needs and work best for you and your household. They can also save you time, money and headaches by pointing out the details you may have overlooked. You will be much more satisfied with the result when you discuss with them all the ways you like to use your kitchen.
TURN TO HESTIA CONSTRUCTION & DESIGN TO HELP WITH YOUR Austin KITCHEN RENOVATIONS
The materials, fixtures, and layout of your kitchen all matter. To get the most out of your Austin kitchen renovation, let the experts at Hestia Construction & Design help. We offer a comprehensive kitchen remodeling service that includes attention to your design tastes. Our design experts in architecture, interior, and cabinet design can put their experience to use for you to bring your dream kitchen into reality. We listen to your design ideas and help transform them into something beyond your dreams. We’ll manage every detail of the process while keeping you thoroughly informed.
Contact Hestia today to learn more about our financing plans and how we can provide an expert kitchen remodel and design for your home. We make it easy to apply for pre-approval for flexible financing options. Call us at 832-399-2060 to set up a free consultation with a renovation specialist and learn what to expect from our work.